Friday, September 28, 2012

Words Can Be Mighty


After my little piece on children and divorce it got me thinking of what else do adults do without realizing their impact on children? I made some calls and spoke to some friends and then thought back what have I done that could have discouraged a child…


Once way back before having my own kids a nephew who was only about five or six wanted to show me his dancing. I was told he was so excited to show me I had been gone for some time (I was living in Germany and home for a visit) and so I was standing there waiting for the big show. He came out dressed up and started to dance and I started to laugh so hard he ended up stopping and I kept telling him it was OK to continue but he did not. My mother and sister looked at me and were mad; my mother told me later on that he said he would never dance again! And, he did not!!  Of course I apologized over and over again but the damage was done.

After that I have always tried real hard to never discredit a child even if what they are doing is not the best or if it is so funny you just want to breakout laughing. It is so easy to do this. Instead remember we need to be supportive in all areas never say harsh words to a child not even if playing around because it sticks in their brain and they carry it around with them.

Lest celebrate the accomplishment of all children because we never know what they may end-up accomplishing! For me after that horrible day I have never said anything that made a child feel bad I give encouragement instead always. My two kids were encouraged and to this day I encourage them with their dreams!

What can you say or do with a child today that will help them and inspire them?

Click here to watch a clip from a movie that really shows how easy it is to discourage a child… 

No comments:

Post a Comment